Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Falling and Frozen Water

What a crazy last few days. I'm starting to notice how much I've been trying to cram in in my last few days here.
A few mornings ago, Zach gave me a call to see if I wanted to go to Haines with him and Tessa. We tried to catch the 12:00 ferry, but there isn't one, so we waited and caught the 2pm ferry. Tessa wasn't feeling so well, so she didn't end up going. Instead, we were joined by Juan Pedro, an awesome guy that just moved in a few days ago. He just happened to be riding the same ferry to a tour, so we enjoyed the ride over together. Zach and I had our bikes and rain stuff, so we were prepared for anything.

Without really a plan of what to do, we toured the city on our bikes, then rode out the highway to find the river. Unfortunately, we realized that we were never going to see the river, and the highway is long. We turned back and found a golf course with a driving range. I haven't golfed for a while, but it sounded fun, so we went in to try it out. It had rained too hard though, and the range was closed, so they managed to con us into playing four holes of golf. Now usually, I don't spend much money, and I wasn't really in a spending mood... but, she explained to us that we'd be paying $10 each, and then eventually charged us for a set of clubs, a lot of balls a piece, and a few other things. Anyway, the total was higher than $20. Stupid Golf.

The course was a flooded, but we played on. Eventually, the owner of the course noticed us struggling and came out and gave us some free quick swing lessons. Awesome. We still weren't good. We started with six balls, found 10 in the woods, and ended with one each. Dang. Good thing it was only four holes!

Yesterday, to continue our proud tradition of vising glaciers on our day off, Brooke and I went on a Temsco helicopter flight up to the Mead Glacier. Absolutely awesome. They land right on the glacier and have guides show you around and explain the 350 feet of glacier ice that you're standing on.

We looked down some crevases, glacial cracks, that are terrifying. Avoid falling in one at all costs. I feel like this summer has educated me quite well on glacial ice. The picture to the right is actually me mid-drink on the glacier. We scooped a bunch of glacial runoff and drank it. Really crazy, really cold. The most pure thing ever though.

On a health note, I visited the clinic after our flight and got my ankles checked out. They gave me some more of the same antibiotics, but didn't really have anything to say. I would imagine it'll never happen again after I leave here. I'm satisfied with that!


Well, probably only one or so more posts from alaska! Woo hoo!

No comments: