Saturday, August 23, 2008

Fat Ankles!

Terrible! Either I'm allergic to something here in Alaska, or I've been bit by another spider. Ghetto. I'm not sure when or where it happened, but its making it really hard to walk, drive, and do anything fun here for my last week.

See if you can spot the normal bones in my feet in the picture. I can't. Really the only things visible in this picture are my poor swollen ankles and my impressive sock tan line. Yeeaah.

I'm not driving today, so that's good. I've got an appointment at the health clinic on monday afternoon.

In other news, I had an awesome day last monday. Brooke and I went around and did a few cool tours in Skagway. I'm really glad we got them in before I leave next sunday.

Our first adventure started at 9am on a ProMech glacier flightseeing tour. They had a few extra seats, so we jumped in on an absolutely beautiful day. Clear skies for the most part, and it was awesome to get out of Skagway for a bit, even if we didn't set foot on any other ground. We saw tons of glaciers everywhere. So cool. Possibly the best part of the flight, besides the views, is that they pump some inspirational music to you on a set of headphones that make the whole thing pretty cool. I mean, it was cool anyway, but with the music it was pretty sweet. Everyone told me it was going to be really cheesy, but I didn't think it was too bad.

After we got back, we figured adventures for the day couldn't quite be over yet, so we visited Glaical smoothies for Turkey bacon bagel sandwiches. Really good. After a little bit of pondering, we played a few games of Sequence(and taught an old tourist to play!). I won best out of three games, with my final game earning three sequences, instead of the two that you need to win. It was awesome.

Eventually, we got a call saying there was room on the Chillkat guide's Glacier point tour. This is probably one of the most talked about tours in Skagway. It starts out with a 45 minute ride through the lynn canal on a high-speed catamaran, landing just a little outside of Haines. After that, a quick drive in a four wheel drive bus to an equiptment shack where we got boots and coats, followed by a brief hike. Only 10 minutes later, we got in 11 person canoes and paddled right up to the glacier.

What a day! All in all, I think between the two of us we consumed $1000 of tours. Awesome. Even more awesome, is that it didn't cost us anything except for what we tipped the guides!

No comments: