Thursday, August 7, 2008

Swimming in the Yukon + Other Adventures

What a crazy last couple of weeks! My parents visited, we've had bears at our house, and I've swam in a section of lake bennett. Awesome.

My parents made the 1800 mile trek up from Seattle, taking it easy and stopping to see a little of everything. While in Skagway, we did a little everything. They spent a lot of time walking around town and exploring town, but on Saturday we went to the famous "Days of 98 Show". I had heard it was a little ridiculous before, but its actually pretty good. I was surprised. My parents liked it.

The next day, I drove a best of skagway and they got to come along and ride the train and all that. The best of skagway is a fantastic tour, that includes a train ride up the White Pass and Yukon Route railroad, a bus tour back down the pass, salmon lunch, show, and gold panning at liarsville. After all of that, we take them out to the Red Onion brothel museum. Interesting place.

I think my parents enjoyed liarsville the most. I don't blame them. It was awesome. Not only that, but Betsy arranged to have my dad called up for a part of the gold panning demonstration. It was pretty funny.

A few days ago, while we were sitting at Carcross waiting for everyone to see all there was to see in the little city, I pointed out to another driver that Seth and Casey were swimming around and had a few of their passengers join them. I regret joking about that with her, because she immediately thought it would be a good idea if we did the same thing for our passengers. I ended up doing it, even though I had no change of clothes. The passengers loved it. I ended up liking it quite a bit too, because it was a hot day, and my coach didn't have very good air conditioning. I was almost dry by the time I got back to Skagway! Also, by far my best yukon tip day!

We've seen quite a few bears in the last few days. Actually, a mom and three cubs were wandering around our deck a few nights ago, and eventually the police had to come out because they got into our trash. The night before that, some friends invited me to go bear watching in Dyea. It was a great time, and we saw one hanging out, walking through the river bed.

This picture doesn't have a story really. But I suppose it represents that I got my Ultimate Yukon tour passengers to the train a little late today. The picture is andrew running to his bus, but enough people get us mixed up that I figured I could use it as my own!

No comments: