Monday, October 20, 2008

Retreat 2.0!

Wow! We're back from the INN's 2008 Fall Retreat: When INN Rome. Pretty crazy weekend. Lots of new people who were very excited about meeting other new people. As I glanced around the 60 or so students there, I rarely noticed anyone alone. Not only that, but I didn't notice the same people hanging out all the time either. Interesting.

The weather couldn't have been any better. The one bad thing I remember about every fall retreat I've been on is wet socks. Always wet socks from walking through the field to get anywhere. This year, I don't think I had near as much of a problem with it. I'm either used to it now, or maybe it wasn't as wet. A few students slept outside each night and they didn't seem to get too soaked, so it couldn't have been that bad.

I led the hike up to the deception pass from camp. Not too long of a hike, not too short. On the way up I forgot that on this specific hike, as soon as we get to the bridge, everyone tends to scatter. Some walk all the way across the bridge, others stop midway and admire the view. Still others hang out on the other side or go explore other beaches. Crazy. Either way, on the way up I shared in some great conversations with new and old friends.

I also led a forum on Money. It was interesting to discuss how each of us spend and save money in our culture, what we view as important, and how even though most people nodded at me, saying that saving was important, when the time came to nod if you actually saved, there were quite a few less heads moving. Why is this? Why is it that in our culture we seem to have an obsession with spending so much? Even worse, why do we have an obession with spending so much more than we earn? More on all of these later when I post the forum in a little different format.

All in all, great retreat. Those who planned did an excellent job of ensuring things were running smoothly. Anyway, now I'm off to the office to write some stuff up, teach Sarah about iMovie, and possibly even make a poster. What a great day to relax!

No comments: