Friday, November 7, 2008

INNferno

There's nothing quite as beautiful as lots of people gathering for late night worship things. I realized this as I walked through a swampy grass field near lake Samish on a warm, dark rainy night. Trying to avoid the deeper puddles, I couldn't help but keep my eyes looking down towards the ground, which was too dark to see anyway. In the middle of my trek though, I did manage to peer up accross the field towards my destination. The dining hall of the camp was glowing in the middle of the dark, muddy field that I was in.

The candles and fire illuminating the room cast tall shaddows accross the field of people sitting, standing, and supporting each other. I starred at the building for another few seconds and through the sound of the rain drops falling all around me and on my waterproof jacket came singing. The voices spread accross the field, seeming to fill the dark empty space.

Entering the building, I was greeted by a roaring fire, warmth, and many friends. The singing kept on coming, even louder as I stood in the crowd. Another opportunity to witness students connecting with God in various ways. Some ponder, some sing, others pray with friends.

These were good momments.