Friday, June 27, 2008

Tours, Bears, and Lakes

What a life! I can't even begin to describe how awesome the last few days have been. The best part about this job so far is that the time seems to be flying by because I'm having such a good time, and doing things that I can't believe I'm getting paid for. In the last few days, especially today, I've gotten paid to ride on tours, ride on the most scenic railway in the world, ride four wheelers in desert sand dunes, drive a freeking bus, hang out, read books, and watch shows about the gold rush.

Oh, that list above? Yeah. All those things were activities that I was paid for, and I paid nothing to do. Aweeesome.

In the pictures are the beautiful emerald lake, a lake that has very light blue water, turned that color from calcium deposits. It was an amazing lake, just pass Carcross, YT. Another picture has a bear that was on the side of the road today hanging out.

The last picture is a few other drivers and me during our four wheeling adventure in the world's smallest desert. Lots of places let other companies guides and employees onto their attractions for free. After a great free lunch with the other drivers at Caribou Crossing, we jumped out for this great free adventure in the small dunes. What a life!

I gave my first two long tours. One was a summit tour that included a trip to Liarsville for their show and gold panning, then a trip up and back down the pass.

I also got to be trained on a different type of bus. The old GMC Jimmy busses are a little more old school. They have no power steering, have a huge bench seat in the back, and look more or less like a space ship. Craazy. They're pretty fun to drive. I can't complain. To turn them on, they have a dial that looks like a washing machine control knob. To put the bus into reverse, neutral, or forward, there is a small switch that looks a lot like a lightswitch.

No comments: